Re: [egit-dev] How to test eclipse 3.4 compatibility?

On 19 Mar 2010, at 23:11, Robin Rosenberg <robin.rosenberg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

fredagen den 19 mars 2010 22.14.56 skrev du:

As I understand it, if we require 0.1.37 then 0.1.41 will do if that is the
one available and 0.1.99 too, but not 0.1.36.

Yes, that is correct.

If we say 0.1 then 0.1.36 will be accepted, but noone has tested that, and
i think 0.1.29 was tested and didn'αΊ— work. So I think 0.1.37 makes a good
minimum requirement, while 0.1 is too loose.

There is a difference between what we actually compile against for the build, and what version range we put in the manifest. We only need a CQ for the former, and as we already have that for the 0.1.41 it seems additional unnecessary work to change that.

As for the minimum level, there are virtually no cases in OSGi dependencies where you list a patch version. It's possible to list a minimum of 0.1.37 there, but this will (possibly needlessly) prevent it from working on a system with 0.1.36 that may otherwise work fine.

There will always be bugs fixed that we might depend on, but we can't know what all of those bugs might be in all older systems. It is generally better to leave the patch level as 0 and then give the integrator the possibility of testing, rather than forbid its use through lack of our testing.

Alex

Back to the top