Re: [egit-dev] egit.eclipse.org now running smart HTTP

Matthias Sohn <matthias.sohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2010/1/16 Shawn O. Pearce <spearce@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> I think we should configure the URLs for the different protocols in a way
> that they
> just differ in the scheme name.

OK, I just fixed the Apache configuration so that URLs like
http://egit.eclipse.org/jgit.git will work with smart HTTP.

Unfortunately I have to list each repository in the Apache
configuration file with a ProxyPass directive.  There might be
another way with mod_rewrite given how powerful that grammer can
be, but I couldn't figure out a way to do it.

The /r/p/ prefix Gerrit advertises happens because /r/ is the URL
prefix that drives requests to Gerrit, and /p/ is the prefix that
Gerrit uses to drive requests to the GitServlet in JGit, rather
than to other parts of itself.

Now that Gerrit knows how to run gitweb, we might be able to drop
the /r/ prefix and route gitweb requests through Gerrit.  But we
can't drop the /p/ part of the HTTP URLs.

If I add git:// daemon to Gerrit, I could have it use /p/ there too
as a prefix though, so its consistent with HTTP.  We could also
start doing that with ssh:// daemon, but that might cause some
problems by breaking all existing SSH URLs.

--
Shawn.

Back to the top