Re: [egit-dev] Layout when the project is in the repository root

Am 17.12.2009 16:04, schrieb Shawn O. Pearce:
> And they would be in the same branch together as you would checkout
> the higher level trunk folder.

And here in lies an issue. AFAIK the Eclipse Team Integration workflow
was designed/optimized for checking out projects into the workspace.
Another concept that is aligned to this is the "map" files thing in PDE
Build. If you switch to another branch or tag you will need to switch
single projects.

> Git people think that is crazy.

I wonder what is the best for a really good Git Eclipse integration. On
a side note, I always disliked the Rational ClearCase and the Subclipse
Eclipse plug-ins. They always tried to force their workflow model onto
the Eclipse user. For ClearCase I got involved into an Open Source
project on SF and we tried to better adapt the Eclipse style. Subclipse
became better of the years.

Of course, people should learn and understand key concepts of new
versioning systems. But the other day I was wonder if EGit could be
really smart in adopting the Eclipse workflow. However, I don't know if
that is possible technically. For example, the ".git" repository could
be stored and managed hidden withing the ".metadata" folder. Projects
could be still located in the workspace. Individual projects could be
switched to different branches. Internally, EGit would manage different
repositories within its ".metadata" location. Not sure if that makes
sense. But sometimes I simply want to checkout a single plug-in from
HEAD. Everything else is in my target platform. The only way this can
work today would require a separate repository per bundle, correct? But
I'm sure this also has some disadvantages.

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht
gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx