Re: [egit-dev] Layout when the project is in the repository root

Alex Blewitt <alex.blewitt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It's worth noting that if you follow this policy, then all projects in
> the same git repository must be on the same branch at all times. This
> is different from the CVS case where each can be on its own branch;
> I'm not sure whether it's different from SVN too. If it is, we might
> be wise to consider warning the user that other projects will also be
> switched if they share the same git repository.

In SVN you can do either.

I think most SVN layouts with multiple related projects would
put them into the same directory, so you might see:

  /svn
    /trunk
      /org.eclipse.foo
      /org.eclipse.bar

And they would be in the same branch together as you would checkout
the higher level trunk folder.  Switching to another branch in SVN
would mean actually updating your root from being /svn/trunk to a
different path like /svn/branches/exp54 and switching both of the
project directories.

But, of course, since SVN lets you check out an arbitrary path,
you'd also be able to checkout the project folders from two different
branches.  Git people think that is crazy.  SVN (and Perforce and
CVS and ...) think its reasonable on a really big project.

So.

People may already be familiar with this, or not.  But our UI should
make it clear when switching branches exactly which projects will
be impacted and must switch together.

--
Shawn.

Back to the top