Re: [egit-dev] [RFC] Talk on EGit/JGit at EclipseCon

"Sohn, Matthias" <matthias.sohn@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> From: Matthias Sohn <matthias.sohn@xxxxxxx>
>
> I propose to submit a talk about EGit/JGit for the EclipseCon.
> Comments and co-speakers welcome :-)

This is great.  Both Robin Rosenberg and I were starting to plot
a talk at EclipseCon at EGit.  I think we should only do 1 talk,
not 2, and since you are putting forth the effort here, we'll just
ride along as co-presenters if that's OK.  :-)

How can we help you right now?

> +============================================================
> +"Towards Contributors Heaven: from CVS and SVN to EGit/JGit"
> +============================================================

Nice title, so much better than anything I could come up with.

> +Standard Talk (25 mins)
> +Making at Eclipse
> +Tags: Tools Committer Contributor Emerging Technology
> +------------------------------------------------------------
> +
> +Git is a distributed SCM, which means every developer has a full local clone
> +of the complete history of every revision of the code allowing for independence and
> +unparalleled speed compared to other central SCMs. Through intelligent branching and
> +merging functionality combined with a highly optimized transport protocol distributed
> +development can become much more efficient.
> +
> +Especially contributors who don't have direct write access to the code of Open
> +Source projects may largely benefit from the distributed nature of Git.
> +This explains the high interest of the Eclipse community to move from CVS and SVN
> +towards Git in order to ease the life of contributors and this way make the
> +community more successful.
> +
> +The EGit project is implementing Eclipse tooling on top of JGit, the Java
> +implementation of Git. EGit and JGit moved to Eclipse in May 2009 and plan
> +to ship their next release with Helios.
> +
> +This talk will give an update of the project progress and more detailed information
> +about the design and features. A demo will illustrate how it's used in the development
> +process. It will also show how Gerrit, a JGit based Review system developed for the
> +needs of the Android community can help to further improve the development process.

I like it.

--
Shawn.

Back to the top