Re: [egit-dev] Gerrit Code Review running

Alex Blewitt <alex.blewitt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 1 Oct 2009, at 23:55, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
>
>> I finally got Gerrit Code Review going.
>
> For those who haven't used it before, is there a suggestion of how we're
> supposed to interact with Gerrit? Is the preferred medium for
> non-committers still to add changes as bugs in bugzilla?

Well, my personal perference is for all patches to go through Gerrit,
committers and non-committers alike.  But Eclipse IP policy is likely
going to force us to duplicate stuff into Bugzilla Just Because(TM).

Gerrit has access control rules that give committers a bit more
power than non-committers, like being able to actually put code into
the trunk.  But any registered user may upload a patch for review,
comment on a patch, or vote for or against inclusion of a patch.
Not too different from Bugzilla being equally open.

Once committers have registered accounts, I can put them into the
group which gives them the more powerful widgets.

As far as uploading a patch for review, its literally just:

  git push ssh://username@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:29418/egit/parallelip-egit.git HEAD:refs/for/master

Or if you do this often enough, setup a remote:

  # setup
  git config remote.review.url ssh://username@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:29418/egit/parallelip-egit.git
  git config remote.review.push HEAD:refs/for/master

  # all later uses
  git push review

--
Shawn.