Re: [eclipselink-users] Streaming Blob or calling SQLXML directly for certain fields

I don't think you map to a Blob or XMLType directly in EclipseLink.  Please
log a bug for this if you cannot map it directly.

For streaming it is normally best to use JDBC.  To get the JDBC connection
use, em.unwrap(java.sql.Connection.class);

For the unwrapping error, EclipseLink will unwrap the connection when using
a ServerPlatform such as WebLogic, WebSphere, Glassfish, JBoss.  You may
need to create a ServerPlatform for your connection pool (consider
submitting it).  Also please log a bug that EclipseLink XMLType support
should use the new JDBC API and work with other databases. (and vote for it)

Carl Roberts wrote:

> Hi guys,
>

> Is there a way to extend some classes or implement some interfaces in
> EclipseLink to make direct JDBC calls for certain table columns so that I
> can do streaming of BLOB data or use the SQLXML class for XML columns?
>

> I have already gone through the XMLDataCustomizer example and I just want
> to point out that this is not an accepatable solution for me as it assumes
> I am using an OracleConnection object and that I am dealing with an Oracle
> database.
>

> I would like to use the SQLXML class instead and direct JDBC calls when
> dealing with XML columns in DB2, MSSQL and Oracle.
>

> If anyone has done this or has some suggestions I would really appreciate
> it.  Also, I briefly looked at this link:
>

> http://wiki.eclipse.org/Using_EclipseLink_JPA_Extensions_%28ELUG%29#Using_EclipseLink_JPA_Converters
>

> But I am not sure if I can use a Converter class - it seems converters are
> really there to massage data after retrieving it and before inserting it
> but what I want to do is make direct JDBC calls to the database for XML
> columns and perhaps Blobs as well.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Joe

-----