Re: [eclipselink-users] merge() cascading by default?

Hi James,

I am merging a new object where all its attributes are new, however when it
goes to merge() the entity to disk I know for a fact the specification
attribute already exists (which is why you see the insertion failure). I
understand what you said about merging an instance and skipping any
non-cascade attributes but I would expect the following operation to fail:

1) The entity being merged is new
2) One of the attributes points to a new entity but does not have cascade
enabled

because clearly then you're trying to persist an incomplete object. The
counter-example is if you're merging an existing entity. I agree that in
such a case it should skip merging any attribute with cascade disabled (so
long as the attribute is already persisted, if the attribute is new then I
expect a failure).

Please confirm whether you agree with the above statements or which ones I
have misunderstood. As for my specific use-case, I have class Image with
attribute Specification (which you see getting inserted). The attribute is
declared with the following annotations:

	@ManyToOne(optional = false, fetch = FetchType.LAZY)
	@JoinColumn(name = "specificationId")

Gili