[eclipselink-users] merge() cascading by default?

When I merge() an Image object, EclipseLink seems to persist all objects
referenced by the object. If I change to persist() it complains that one of
the referenced object was transient but not cascaded.

I am expecting the same warning to be issued for merge(). The documentation
says that the default cascade is none but the behavior seems otherwise. I am
using EclipseLink 1.0.1.

Thank you,
Gili