[eclipse.org-members-committers] Project updates, April 19/2012

Greetings folks.

We have one creation review wrapping up on April 25/2012. The Maven Integration for Web Tools Platform [1], which will be created as a subproject of m2e, delivers integration between the Maven Integration (M2E) and Eclipse WTP projects.

The long-overdue termination review for the SOA Tools Platform (STP) [2] top-level project is also scheduled to conclude on April 25/2012. Note that this is different from the SOA project which is still very vibrant and active. Much of the STP project has already been moved into other projects; some remaining code (e.g. the Intermediate Model component) will be moved as part of this review and everything else will be archived.

We have a new project proposal. The EMF Diff/Merge (EDM) project will fall under EMF. EDM provides a lightweight engine for comparing and merging models using IDs. The emphasis is on scalability and reliability, with the objective of preserving the integrity and consistency of models during the merge process. EDM is intended to be a technological enabler: it includes both a customizable diff/merge engine and Graphical User Interface (GUI) components which can be used by or integrated into other tools.

You may have noticed that I've been scheduling reviews as soon as I receive enough information to schedule them. This means that some review information is available much longer than the minimum of five business days that are required by the the EDP [4]. You've probably noticed that I've changed the way that I speak of reviews: rather than talking about a review being on a particular day or occuring over a particular period of time, I tend to speak of reviews "wrapping up" or concluding on a particular day. This is a reflection of a fundamental change in the way that we initially did reviews. Where once a review required a live presentation on a conference call, we now submit the review information to the community. We never do review calls.

I've also made it a standard practice to create Bugzilla records [5] for each review (under the Community/Proposals and Reviews component). I started doing this to maintain my own sanity as a review requires that a lot of different pieces be brought together and my feeble mind wasn't able to keep track of it all (what a better reason to use an issue tracker for this sort of thing). It started off as a means for me to keep track of the reviews and store the documents associated with the review (IP Logs and review documentation are stored as attachments), but is now becoming the means by which projects request a review. If you send me a note regarding a review, I'll create the entry and copy you; or you can just create a new bug yourself. In either case, this gives everybody the ability to keep track of the state of reviews.

Thanks,

Wayne

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/technology.m2e.m2e-wtp/
[2] http://wiki.eclipse.org/STP/Termination_Review