[eclipse.org-members-committers] Eclipse Project updates for February 2/2012

We have one one review this week: a termination review scheduled to wrap up on February 8/2012. The Tools for Mobile Web (TMW) [1] project did not graduate out of incubation and did not gain a community of users or downstream adopters. The review document [2] is posted for your review.

I have been contacted by some universities running courses on open source. As part of these courses, students are required to do work in open source. With each contact, I've discussed "how open source works" and encouraged them to get their students to explore our projects, and find ways to contribute. Some are amenable, but others are looking for "well defined" projects and accompanying mentors. This seems like a good opportunity to both get some much needed work done, and broaden our community. As with all student work, we can't assume that the students are familiar with Eclipse, or plug-in development. You should anticipate spending an minimum of 5 hours a week mentoring.

Please contact me directly if you want to try and take advantage of this. If there's interest, we'll set up a wiki page to collect project descriptions.

On a similar note, I expect that the Google Summer of Code 2012 will be spinning up soon. With ths project, Google funds students to work on open source projects over the summer. We've participated in it for years with fantastic results. Feel free to start entering your project ideas on the wiki [3]. Let me know if you have any questions (even better: ask your questions on the soc-dev mailing list).

Don't forget to register for EclipseCon. Do it now.

Thanks,

Wayne

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/tmw
[2] http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/tools-pmc/pdfr10mSc4Bc4.pdf