Re: [eclipse.org-eclipsecon-program-committee] EclipseCon Europe 2013

Hey!

Here is my feedback:

PC committee members list looks awesome. And a very warm welcome to Sebastian!!!
Wiki page access works

+1 waiting list for talks
+1 times in the rooms
+1 all talks the same length (I would vote for 30min)
+1 full pass for each talk (that makes a lot of sense to me)
+1 limit doorway access to theatre
+1 avoid FMZ
+1 to emphasize the development tooling topic (!!!)

Hackathon sounds nice. Maybe combine that with your idea to bring Chris Heilmann back and have him do an HTML5 hackathon?

About the "program focus":
In general I like the idea of opening up the focus a little bit and get some general Java folks back (like with the JDK track that we had a year ago). But I am worried to turn this conference too much into a general Java + HTML5 + buzz1 + buzz2 + Eclipse conference. And if we wanna make a topic around the Java8 release by that time, we should take care to also get some Eclipse-JDT-Java8-Support talks and demos.

I am not sure about this "we lost the Java community" feeling that Ralph shared with you. Maybe in the early days when we had those awesome demos about what is new in JDT and then maybe again when the rich client topic came around the corner. But nowadays? No awesome news from JDT (maintenance mode) and the future of rich client apps is JavaScript and the browser (and Eclipse is not well known for being a good tool in this area). There are quite a number of interesting browser-based app topics that are related to Eclipse there (as we had for ECE 2012) and I would love to have those again at ECE 2013 + the JDK track maybe. Just a few thoughts and I am sorry for being not constructive enough here... I guess I need to think more about this topic... ;-)

Just a few thoughts... :-)

Cheers,
-Martin

The members of the*_PC_*are named:

  * Christian Campo, (chair) (christian.campo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:christian.campo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>)
  * Achim Lörke (Achim.Loerke@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:Achim.Loerke@xxxxxxxxx>/achim.loerke@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:achim.loerke@xxxxxxxxx>for calendar invitations)
  * Benjamin Cabé (bcabe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:bcabe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>)
  * Simon Kaufmann (simon.kfm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:simon.kfm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>)
  * Cédric Brun (cedric.brun@xxxxxxx <mailto:cedric.brun@xxxxxxx>)
  * Jonas Helming (jhelming@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:jhelming@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>)
  * Martin Lippert (lippert@xxxxxxx <mailto:lippert@xxxxxxx>)
  * Sebastian Zarnekow (Sebastian.Zarnekow@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:Sebastian.Zarnekow@xxxxxxxxx>)
  * Susan Schwarze (OSGi Alliance) (s.schwarze@xxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:s.schwarze@xxxxxxxxxxx>)

I am not sure that I spoke with everyone from last year who should
also be in this year. I spoke to most of you whether you can also be
in PC 2013. (not sure about Simon and Jonas). So hope you are all on
board.

Last year (2012) went pretty well I think so we are not changing too
much. I wanted Sebastian to be on the PC and since I don't more than
one person from one company I had to remove Alexander although he did
an excellent job.

Most of you knows the procedure and the tasks that are necessary
except Sebastian and its my task to fill him in.

Thanks for the briefing, Christian.

We have a*_wiki page_*
https://www.eclipsecon.org/wiki/EclipseCon_Europe_2013_Program_Committee and
you should all be able to access it. (Sebastian please check)

The wiki page works for me.

The wiki page already contains a number of "Considerations for 2013
(from 2012 experience)". The list was created by Anne. Please post
input that you have on the mailing list rather than adding them to the
list yourself :-).

I encourage you to supply*_feedback_*to anything on that list,
anything in this email and anything else you have in mind for ECE 2013.

A strong plus for timers in the room to make sure that the sessions are
finished in time.
Same for an official number of attendees per session.

I could help to have barcodes at the doors that can be scanned with a
phone to count the number of attendees. The conference app could send a
reminder that one shall provide feedback for the presenter.

I've not strong opinion about the point 'same length for each talk',
though I also think that we don't need long talks. OTOH slots with 2
lightning talks 15 mins each could be interesting.

Hackatons: I really like the format, but I've also the impression that
people attend the conference for the socializing aspect. We'd have to
make sure that they don't eat up too much time. The number of expected
participants has to justify the efforts for the preparations. Do we have
any numbers from other conferences that had this format?

No FMZ: +1.

I think the most important change is the proposal that all talks have
the same length. I was always for extended talk slots but failed to
see an extended talk at ECE 2012 that really justified that. What do
you guys think ?

Having less time for a talk sometimes helps to stay focused. 25 minutes
works usually quite well.

The*_time schedule_*will be pretty much the same as last year. So most
of the telcos would be typically happening in August (monday). And we
do one or two before that heavy working time. I am NOT at EclipseCon
NA in Boston so we wont meet there.

I am starting now to look for*_keynote speakers_*. Help appreciated.
If you know interesting people, then just add them in the wiki and/or
post them on the mailing list.

Having some keynotes that are not strictly Eclipse focues would be cool,
e.g. like the Mozilla keynote that we had this year.
Scott Hanselmann would be a great (www.hanselman.com
<http://www.hanselman.com>).
I also like the idea to have someone from Jetbrains talking about
competing with Eclipse, but I did not see too many entertaining talks by
Jetbrainers ...

*_Program focus_*
A feedback that I received from one of my colleagues and that I
discussed today with Ralph is my impression that EclipseCon is very
very Eclipse based. We have very few talks that are just for Java
developers. We had Sebastian talk about "Java Performance MythBusters"
(as an example and there are some other talks) but in general we (the
PC) always asked ourselves what the link to Eclipse is.

I think it would be really great if we had a Java category where
people could talk about Java stuff that is interesting to Eclipse
Developers. So we could have talks about Guava, Guice, Guava, Akka,
Heroko, Fork/Join, WebSockets, Hadoop, JavaEE, NoSql, Scala etc. (we
also need to find people to propose such talks) I know we had Dalibor
Topic talking about Java itself but I am think more about Java Open
Source frameworks. Its probably also important what kind of things we
like and what we don't like for such a Java category (before we open
the flood gate :-) ). I am not so much of a fan in getting another 20
"how to write an Android thingy" talk proposals.

Still it should relevant to Eclipse developers but the code that you
talk about does not need to be ateclipse.org <http://eclipse.org>. (I
am not saying that this was true in the past, but in our program 95 %
of the technical talks use OSGi as a kernel, I don't think that this
has to stay that way)

I am sure this idea needs a little more thinking. But broadening to
scope I think would make EclipseCon more attractive. I hope everyone
could supply some feedback.

_Note: Ralph called that "we lost the java community" which I think
describes the phenomena very well._

Obviously +1 - Java is actually sort of a common denominator of all
attendees such as this topic has the potential to fill sort of a gap.
And Java8 is around the corner, too.
JavaFX is an emerging tech, too. Since e4 allows to plug other (more
trendy) widget toolkits, having more content about JavaFX would be great.

Did you talk with the EclipseCon NA about that? I think it's important
for that one, too, to have a wide range of content rather some so-so
talks about strict Eclipse stuff.

Cheers,
Sebastian

*_HTML5_*
Inspired by Chris Heilmann's keynote I realized that HTML5 is really
underrepresented at EclipseCons (and maybe Eclipse in general). So I
personally would think it might be interesting to do something with
Mozilla at ECE 2013. My spontaneous idea is to bring Chris in and have
him do a tutorial (where he bring 200 FireOS smartphones) and we all
try to create something interesting. But maybe thats just me. Again I
am interested to get feedback.

Looking forward to your emails and feedback what you think about my
ideas. (which of them are crazy and which are good, what are your ideas ?)

christian campo

compeople AG
Untermainanlage 8
60329 Frankfurt/Main
fon: +49 (0) 69 / 27 22 18 0
fax: +49 (0) 69 / 27 22 18 22
web:www.compeople.de <http://www.compeople.de/>

Vorstand: Jürgen Wiesmaier
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Christian Glanz

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Frankfurt/Main
Handelsregister Frankfurt HRB 56759
USt-IdNr. DE207665352