Re: [eclipse.org-eclipsecon-program-committee] Minutes from Today

as a thought, would it make sense to have power in a couple of rooms and schedule the longer (sequential) tutorials in those rooms?

Jeff

Bjorn Freeman-Benson <bjorn.freeman-benson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse.org-eclipsecon-program-committee-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/02/2007 07:59 PM

Please respond to
Eclipsecon Program Committee list        <eclipse.org-eclipsecon-program-committee@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Eclipsecon Program Committee list <eclipse.org-eclipsecon-program-committee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [eclipse.org-eclipsecon-program-committee] Minutes from Today

EclipseCon PC members,
Power bars for all the tutorials is $25,000.  It seems outrageous, but that's what the convention center charged us the last time we had power bars for all tutorials. And that money has to come from somewhere - either we raise the registration price (sort of awkward to do now that we've published it) or we take the money from some other Eclipse program. Thus it would be $25,000 we couldn't spend on something else important to the Eclipse community, for example, more download bandwidth or part of the salary for one of our IP people or receptions at project meetings (like the CDT and Equinox summits) or free registrations for EclipseCon presenters. Is it really worth $25,000?  Or, to be more precise, would we be willing to change:
  • tutorials get two free registrations
to:
  • tutorials get ONE free registration and power bars
??

The logic behind not having power bars in the session rooms is (besides the price), "how much hands on work can we really expect in a two hour tutorial?" When it's a half day (four hours) or all day (eight hours), I can understand wanting to have lots of hands-on exercises during the tutorial - but in two hours is there really going to be that much hands on activity that requires a computer to be on all the time?  The feedback we've received from attendees in the past is that a two hour tutorial is just a very long talk and that there really isn't time to do any serious programming and that they wishes the speakers didn't try to do exercises in that short time because they just spent all their time fiddling with the computer and not learning anything.

Comments?

Gaff, Doug wrote:

  • Bjorn: Will the tutorials will have power bars? We need them.
--