[eclipse.org-eclipsecon-program-committee] RE: Agenda for November 4 EclipseCon telecon (888-722-7907, 9262945#)

trying again…mailer problems

From: Tim Wagner
Sent: Friday, November 04, 2005 9:42 AM
To: 'Eclipsecon Program Committee list'
Cc: 'Ian Skerrett'; Bjorn Freeman-Benson
Subject: Agenda for November 4 EclipseCon telecon (888-722-7907, 9262945#)

  • Procedural Updates
    • Website now reflects all keynote speakers
    • Working on getting abstracts from each of the keynote speakers
    • Bjorn will work with conference ops to prepare speaker packets
    • Tutorial deadline language: “The tutorial submission deadline is now in the past, and the committee is currently selecting the tutorial program. However, you may still submit an abstract, and we will review it for inclusion as space allows until the program has been completed.
      Tutorials will be selected by November 15th.”
  • Review/discussion of Ian’s business track suggestions (copy of original email below)
  • Tutorials
    • Reservation system mail (TBD by Tim)
    • Slot discussion
    • Voting process / deadline for initial votes
    • Format of “decision sheet” (see attached work in progress)

- Carl Zetie from Forrester research on Eclipse and the Long Tail

Carl has done extensive research on how Eclipse is being adopted in the enterprise.  He is also looking at the concept that Eclipse enables small/niche oriented ISVs to develop specialize products, hence the Long Tail.

- Stephen O’Grady on Conversation Marketing  (similar to what he did in

Chicago)

Stephen did a very successful presentation at the recent Eclipse members

meeting on marketing to developers.   I think it would be worthwhile

repeating at EclipseCon.

- Kathy Sierra on Creating Passionate Users   ( a popular blog)

This lady has a popular blog titled ‘Creating Passionate Users’.  I think it would be applicable for project leaders and ISVs looking to develop their own user community.

- Evans Data to present on some recent market research studies

Evans Data does a lot of market research of the developer community.  It would be interesting for them to come and talk about the trends they are seeing.

- Cliff Schmidt to discuss the pros and cons of different open source licenses

Cliff is the VP of legal affairs at Apache Software Foundation and an

Eclipse Technology PMC member.

- I was thinking of doing a session on marketing open source projects

I'd be happy to do a session on my experiences of marketing in the Eclipse community.

- Panel discussion on RIA and RCP applications   (probably also a user track

session)

I think it would be interesting to have a panel discussion that explores the different models of building RIA and/or RCP applications.

- Panel discussion deploying Eclipse in the enterprise

Attemept to have a number of people with experience deploying Eclipse within an enterprise.

- Panel discussion of Strategic members on there experiences of joining the Eclipse community

Invite representatives from the companies that joined as Strategic Members during last years EclipseCon (BEA, Borland, Sybase, CA and Scapa) to discuss their experiences over the pass year.

Back to the top