[eclipse.org-committers] Downloads and transparent mirroring system

Greetings,

tl;dr: you can now link directly to http://download.eclipse.org/path/to/file.zip for binaries, but not in p2 repos!

For a long time now, we've encouraged you to leverage our network of mirror sites to offload the download traffic burden from eclipse.org. The result was, for each file downloaded, an extra click for our users, as well as long, unfriendly URLs for your files:

CURRENT WAY: http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/path/to/file.zip

As of last week, we've implemented a transparent way to leverage the same mirror network while allowing you to link to download.eclipse.org directly.

NEW WAY: http://download.eclipse.org/path/to/file.zip

While we encourage you to keep using the current way of linking to files, you may now link directly to our download server.

Please note: p2 repositories should continue to use the p2.mirrorsURL directive, as it is the most efficient way for our users to download software for their Eclipse installation.

If you have any questions, please let me know. More information on the IT services offered by the Eclipse Foundation, please see:
    https://wiki.eclipse.org/IT_Infrastructure_Doc

Denis

--
Denis Roy