Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] Automating quality gates on contribution: Copyright header

Hi all,

I'll jump in and add that doing this as a one-off in GeoMesa has been a mild pain.  If any group takes this on, they deserve a hero's medal for a comprehensive solution!

In case anyone who uses Maven is interested, there's a fairly rigid plugin (config here[1]) which uses multiple header files[2].

On the plus side, this allows us to fail the build if someone just tosses up a PR without copyright headers.  On the downside, the plugin is rigid and needing to be on top of copyright is not foremost in most developer's mind.

Given the flexibility in expressing copyright (especially around formatting), I think a general solution will be challenging.

Cheers,

Jim

1. https://github.com/locationtech/geomesa/blob/master/pom.xml#L2421-L2454

2. https://github.com/locationtech/geomesa/tree/master/build/copyright