Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] The Opportunity

We do not rely on any metadata elements from Eclipse IDE. Che had to create a different set given the structure of the workspace is different.

We explored what would be involved with making it possible to import Eclipse projects directly into Che, and the conclusion is that we can probably handle 80% of the cases with 1% conversion.  And then other 20% of the cases would be impossible or require tremendous efforts.  Che workspace always require a runtime, so there would be a substantial matching exercise that would be needed to generate the right runtime to support a particular Eclipse project, and this would be error prone.

Best to assume that everything is different inside of Che - as everything had to be structured for packaging with a distributable, hosted workspace.

I didn't understand the point about serialization or resource model - mostly because I don't know what Eclipse does with those.

Tyler Jewell | CEO | tyler@​codenvy.​com | 9​78​.8​84​.53​55