Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] The Opportunity

On 20 Mar 2016, at 1:09, Doug Schaefer wrote:

Yes, thanks Tyler for your detailed write up. It definitely helps us
understand where you are coming from.

At the moment, I only have one question I guess. We we've been talking here
and on the Twittersphere about the recently release Stack Overflow
Developer Survey and its section on Development environments. For
reference, the results are here:

http://stackoverflow.com/research/developer-survey-2016#technology-development-environments

Just one comment here - that survey looks so completely foobar it hurts.

The OS stats goes against every other stat available on this area.
If OSX really is 26% of their users then its weird 35% prefer a Windows only dev environment (Visual Studio).

Unless stack overflow would also publish the actual OS usage stats they track I seriously
distrust that survey.

/max

We were actually quite pleased to see Eclipse still used by 23% of survey's
respondents, ahead of IntelliJ though it's hard to tell once you factor in
Android Studio. It was also interesting to note the popularity of text
editors in this survey along with the top desktop IDEs. It appears from
this survey that developers are still very focused, if not exclusively, on
development on their desktops.

I was wondering, what factors you are seeing that will cause such a
tectonic shift in developer behavior that they will start using web IDEs in
the huge numbers you have mentioned. I understand the vision and the
marketing, I'm just wondering how it will manifest itself on the ground.

Thanks!
Doug.

On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 6:07 PM, Jay Jay Billings jayjaybillings@xxxxxxxxx