Re: [eclipse-pmc] Requesting for RC2a Build for 4.30

On Fri, Dec 1, 2023 at 7:09 AM Rahul Mohanan via eclipse-pmc <eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear PMC,

We have an inverted image in the splash screen while progress bar is shown on the latest MacOS (Sonoma). This doesn't look good at the startup <https://github.com/eclipse-platform/eclipse.platform.swt/issues/751#issuecomment-1740859166>.

This is tracked in the issue < https://github.com/eclipse-platform/eclipse.platform.swt/issues/751 , https://github.com/eclipse-platform/eclipse.platform.swt/issues/772 >. have a workaround currently <https://github.com/eclipse-platform/eclipse.platform.ui/pull/1356
https://github.com/eclipse-platform/eclipse.platform.ui/pull/1355> and we need to a rebuild.

Requesting PMC for RC2a approval.

I have BIG concerns about the workflow here. This is a major issue I agree but this has been neglected for months thus clearly not a regression. Beyond the last minute a sloppy workaround is put - for a critical AND WELL KNOWN issue this should have happened before RC phase even.
Furthermore, going for respin immediately after the first reply (PMC still needs majority vote last I checked!) and without any communication with Planning council for simrel respin is irresponsible and creates tension as further work (it takes a day for EPPs to produce!) is just created for others. What is presented as download to end users (https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/) is the result of this extra work and the bits produced by us are not directly visible there.
So do we as a project make a statement that Simrel/EPPs doesn't matter ?

With all that said my vote is "0" ( +1 for the sake of end users and -1 for execution).

Thanks and Regards,

Rahul Mohanan

Eclipse SDK Team