Re: [eclipse-pmc] A request to decouple ACL for core components

Personally I support the request like I advocate that people only get
commit rights on those things where they actually earned them by submitting
a considerable amount of high quality code and having an overall
understanding of the component.

Note that this request is not about splitting a component (like Platform
UI) but rather to have individual groups for the two existing components
Resources and Rruntime. This is also for consistency reasons since the
Eclipse project committers are grouped by components and their
corresponding component lead. Having separate groups makes it easier for
the component lead to watch over his component.

>Wouldn't this mostly increase the management overhead?
No. Runtime and Resources are different components with separate leadership
hence votes are started by the corresponding component lead and in the end
the lead has to fill in the corresponding access information in the portal.
Whether the vote is done on one or the other group doesn't add any overhead
unless of course the contributor was so heavily active that he deserved
commit rights to both components, which I think is very uncommon. And even
in that case both leads have to nominate the contributor separately. There
is of course the overhead of initially creating the group on the CVS
server, but that is in my opinion negligible.

Dani

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Boris Bokowski <Boris_Bokowski@xxxxxxxxxx>                                                                                                        |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                                                                                           |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |19.07.2010 20:09                                                                                                                                  |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: [eclipse-pmc] A request to decouple ACL for core components                                                                                   |

Wouldn't this mostly increase the management overhead? I would have thought
that instead of splitting larger components, we should rather merge small
(er) components at some point in order to simplify things.

Just for the record, the current Platform UI component currently has about
15 active committers (not all full time). It may make sense to split into
IDE, Workbench, JFace, Data Binding, but I am not sure what we would gain
by doing a split.

Boris

Szymon Brandys ---2010/07/19 05:39:38---I think that due to recent
committer nominations in the core components, it would make sense to spli

 From:    Szymon Brandys <Szymon.Brandys@xxxxxxxxxx>

 To:      eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx

 Date:    2010/07/19 05:39

 Subject: [eclipse-pmc] A request to decouple ACL for core components

 Sent by: eclipse-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

I think that due to recent committer nominations in the core components, it
would make sense to split the commit groups
to better match the reality.

There should be at least split into core.resources and core.runtime.

Thanks
--
Szymon Brandys