Re: [eclipse-mirrors] BitTorrent Distribution

John, (and Edipo),

It's nice hearing from you.  As you may remember, we had a Torrent service running here at Eclipse.org, and it integrated nicely with our website downloads (ie, http, ftp and torrent links all had the same real estate on the downloads pages).

After a few years, I had observed that the number of people using BitTorrent for Eclipse downloads had decreased to only a handful.  http downloads are simply "fast enough" for most people, and with fewer users, torrent downloads were actually much slower. So I shut the server off.

Using an external service such as terasaur.org would be nice, and I am very mindful of the bandwidth our mirrors must deploy to support all the OSS communities, but the act of uploading files then trying to integrate external torrent links into eclipse.org just doesn't seem like it's worth it.  This is likely nothing some scripting couldn't fix, but again, many fish, and one heck of a big pond.

I do reserve the right to change my mind at any time, however, especially around release time  :-)  Thanks for your offer to help, and thank you (and iBiblio) for your continued support.

Denis