Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] What I dislike about using EMF for e4...

Ed Merks wrote on 04/24/2008 08:16:43 AM:
> Keep in mind that there is a very large modeling community
> exploiting EMF models as well as providing services around them, so
> in terms of growing a large e4 community, leveraging existing ones
> seems like a good approach, at least on the surface.

Whoa! The decision to use *any* part of EMF *must* be based on it being the best technical solution. We're already having that technical discussion, which is great, so I don't think using the "Come on, all your friends are doing it" argument is a strong point.

From my POV, having a separation between specifying the API that we *need* and using an underlying, more general mechanism that implements it is a no brainer.

The way to win the EMF argument is to define the API, then hold EMF up against it and say "See this is smaller, faster, better tooled, handles concurrency better, etc.". Honestly, how hard can it be to beat hashtables-of-strings?

McQ.

Back to the top