Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] Initial discussion onthe'modelled'workbench UI

Hi Tom,

>>How much CSS Browser have do we want to support? Do we for example want
>>to allow setting more than one style-class for an element like Browser
>>allow it (Pseudo SWT-HTML):

>> <tabItem class="myCTabStyle selectedMyCTabStyle">

>>In fact I think every attribute the Style-Class has must be refelected
>>by the UI-Element we look at or it has to hold the *clone* of style
>>object because modifing the background color of an UI-Widget doesn't
>>background color of all widgets using this style!

To start I think we're fine just supporting single class CSS since it covers a huge number of cases, and multiple class CSS hurts the head. I'd be open to multiple though.

But I don't understand the 2nd part of the question.  Can you clarify?

The properties a style-class describes must be reflected by the UI-Element, although its up to us to decide how forgiving we are of this (for example, typically web browsers just ignore CSS lines which set attributes which aren't supported by the given HTML element).  And the relationships are unidirectional, with the classes just acting as selectors for applying attribute changes, but the attributes not being "owned" in any way by the CSS classes.

Kevin

Tom Schindl <tom.schindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-incubator-e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/07/2008 03:02 PM

Please respond to
E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject

Kevin McGuire schrieb:

>  >>One thing that nobody's mentioned yet are the CSS requirements; if we
> get this right (and we must) then almost all of the 'properties' we're
> talking about modeling here (tab style, min/max
>  >>buttons, colors/fonts...perhaps even the SWT widget to render with)
> will be coming from the styler and won't even -be- a part of the
> ModelElement's data.
>
> Eric, I'm not sure about that statement.  The properties that the CSS
> manipulates are to me attributes of the model.  CSS is just a markup for
> specifying how to apply changes to the defaults, just as they are
> already properties as described by HTML.  The "styler" would be a
> programmatic way of achieving the same thing.
>
> In that sense I agree with your other statement that either going
> programmatically against an API or via markup such as CSS or whatever,
> it must eventually go through the model API and be functionally equivalent.
>
> You used the word "requirements".  At this initial junction the only
> CSS'ish requirements I can see is that the model elements have optional
> ID and class.  In this case by "class" we mean a usage classification
> supplied as part of the assembly description. Just like I can have HTML
> <li> but assign two different instances two different classes to denote
> their usage semantics (e.g. customer list vs. product list).

How much CSS Browser have do we want to support? Do we for example want
to allow setting more than one style-class for an element like Browser
allow it (Pseudo SWT-HTML):

<tabItem class="myCTabStyle selectedMyCTabStyle">

In fact I think every attribute the Style-Class has must be refelected
by the UI-Element we look at or it has to hold the *clone* of style
object because modifing the background color of an UI-Widget doesn't
background color of all widgets using this style!

Tom

--
B e s t S o l u t i o n . a t                        EDV Systemhaus GmbH