Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] Initial discussion onthe'modelled'workbench UI

Boris,

I totally agree.  As a general purpose UI platform, you really absolutely
must accommodate the fact that people will have models that aren't EMF
models; at least not yet. :-P   You must remain open enough that folks can
easily render their beans or whatever data structures they may have spent
the last ten years creating without forcing them to turn them into
EObjects, ModelElements, or anything else...

Ed Merks/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
mailto: merks@xxxxxxxxxx
905-413-3265  (t/l 313)

             Boris
             Bokowski/Ottawa/I
             BM@IBMCA                                                   To
             Sent by:                  E4 developer list
             eclipse-incubator         <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@eclipse.o
             -e4-dev-bounces@e         rg>
             clipse.org                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             04/06/2008 03:07          Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev]
             PM                        Initial      discussion
                                       onthe'modelled'workbench UI

             Please respond to
             E4 developer list
             <eclipse-incubato
             r-e4-dev@eclipse.
                   org>

Hi all,

Eric Moffatt wrote on 04/06/2008 01:35:15 PM:

> .... If they want to use ModelElement as the basis for -
> their- domain object will they be required to get into writing an
> ECore extension to the ETreeModel metamodel (or whatever the EMF
> equivalent is) n order to use the JFace viewer ? I'd be more than
> glad to find out that this is YAGF (Yet Another Groundless Fear...;-).

Maybe it is time now for me to say that I am in favour of using the EMF
runtime (or a lean subset of it) as the underlying technology for *our*
model - the Workbench.

However, I think one important point that we ought not forget is that there
are tons of existing models out there, many of which are not using EMF. I
think it is very important that we do not make it a requirement for *domain
models* to be based on EMF.  I agree with Eric here - it would not be a
good idea if you had to adopt EMF just so that your elements can show up in
tables or trees.

Boris