Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] RE: Committer nomination for Tom Schindl

Gorkem,

How small would you figure would be small enough?   For example, what would
you consider to be a rough representative size for small, medium, large and
just a bit too large for a complete application?  How do jar size and
in-memory footprint relate?

The myriad of small efficient specialized list classes could all be
emulated by a single less efficient implementation; the overhead of even
the smallest class is quite large from what I remember.   As a factual
demonstration of what's possible, just look back at EMF 1.x.  The jars was
tiny:

          90,830 Mar 26  2003 ./plugins/org.eclipse.emf.common_1.0.2
/runtime/common.jar
   221,479 Mar 26  2003 ./plugins/org.eclipse.emf.ecore_1.0.2
   /runtime/ecore.jar

That's obviously excluding a great many of the things we have today, such
as a package for all the XML Schema types along with the extended metadata
support for them as well things like feature maps, EMaps.  So it's clear
that a drastically stripped down runtime is possible...

I've got that cool Nokia E90; I sure wish I had time to get an EMF-based
application running on it!

Ed Merks/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
mailto: merks@xxxxxxxxxx
905-413-3265  (t/l 313)

             "Gorkem Ercan"
             <gercan@xxxxxxx>
             eclipse-incubator         "E4 developer list"
             -e4-dev-bounces@e         <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@eclipse.o
             clipse.org                rg>
                                                                        cc

             04/05/2008 02:49                                      Subject
             PM                        Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] RE:
                                       Committer nomination for Tom
                                       Schindl
             Please respond to
             E4 developer list
             <eclipse-incubato
             r-e4-dev@eclipse.
                   org>

Hey Ed,
The EMF runtime for devices is a fantastic idea. I do not think
Foundation 1.1 compatible EMF would be enough though. The ultra-weight
EMF has a better chance on devices.
--
Gorkem

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 7:46 PM, Ed Merks <merks@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Boris,
>
>  I'd like to be an e4 committer too!   To begin with, I'd like to help
with
>  this new model exploration work.   I can imagine all kinds of things we
>  might want to bring to the platform that relate to modeling.  For
example,
>  I've already been prototyping things like EMF for eRCP and RAP.  I could
>  imagine that we might want to take the work I've done with EMF 2.2 to
>  enable eRCP/Foundation 1.1 and perhaps work towards an ultra light
weight
>  (pruned-down) version of the EMF 2.2 runtime that would still be binary
>  compatible with the Java 5.0-exploiting version of the evolving 2.x
stream.
>  I'd like to explore all the cool things that are possible when you bring
>  data binding and data modeling together.   I'm just full of ideas, but
I'd
>  better turn the fire hose off...  Do I need to mention that I have a
proven
>  track record? :-P
>

>  Ed Merks/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
>  mailto: merks@xxxxxxxxxx
>  905-413-3265  (t/l 313)
>

>              Boris
>              Bokowski/Ottawa/I
>              BM@IBMCA
>              Sent by:                  E4 developer list
>              eclipse-incubator
<eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@eclipse.o
>              -e4-dev-bounces@e         rg>
>              clipse.org