Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] Initial discussion onthe'modelled'workbench UI

Kevin McGuire schrieb:

Its fantastic that people are jumping on this so eagerly, excellent! At the risk of killing momentum, I'd like to suggest that this investigation would work best if someone on the platform team (yes, I'm looking at you Eric <g>) were involved to whatever degree it made sense. That is, I don't want to slow the momentum, but then this seems a great opportunity for EMF mentoring and knowledge sharing, which is what I was hoping as one output of the bakeoff. Maybe that happens after some initial EMF hacking by those in the know? What do you people think? How do you want to proceed?

My first task is to bring Eric's model (the different "classes" he uses with all the "attributes" to Ecore). I hope to have this task finished early next week.

At the moment I reach this point I think it makes sense for others to jump on the train and discuss how to modify this initial model. There are multiple ways to model e.g. opposite relationships present in Eric's model, heavy weights and more light way ones (e.g. simply by using containments). My first model will not hold the API Eric model it will only hold the classes with attributes and their relations.

What ever the Java code to represent the model looks like having defined it in Ecore is always a good thing. If the EMF-Java-implementation is not the way to go we could also write our own Ecore to Java generator template although I'm still convinced that we would finally end up with something similar to EObject and it's friends.

At least we have automatically documented the model used which has to be done manually when we hand code everything.

The benefit for all of us who don't know how Eclipse works internally this is a good starting point to understand how the internal platform code is structured and interacts with each other. I haven't ever seen a UML-Diagram of the platform-code *after this exercise we have one*.

Could I get official commit rights to the E4 incubator (from a technically point of view I already have them because I can commit to the platform-cvs) then I could share my ecore model.

Until this is done I'll share my model using my public-svn-server, I'll post the URL later.

One more note on size I just looked at a project I work on which uses GWT and EMF and the whole Java-Script code spit out by GWT-1.5 is 400KB of size (=EMF-Common+EMF-Ecore+Core-Databinding+UFace+GWT-Ext) naturally the size will grow the bigger my model gets but I was impressed how small it is.

Tom

tom schindl                               leiter softwareentwicklung/CSO
eduard-bodem-gasse 8/3    A-6020 innsbruck      phone    ++43 512 935834

Back to the top