Re: [eclipse-dev] question about OSGi development in Eclipse

Hey George,

Yes, Eclipse has been OSGi-based (that is, Eclipse includes an OSGi implementation) since 3.0 last year.  When you are developing plugins you are developing bundles.  They are the same thing.  So PDE is also a Bundle Development Environment.    We are adding more and more OSGi specific tooling over the course of M6 (now) so you should see things like Import-Package, Export-Package support show up in the manifest editor etc.

So try New > Project > Plugin Project and check the "Create OSGi manifest" to get the normal bundle feel.

Note also that for M6 the Eclipse OSGi implementation is more easily accessed as it is a single jar (org.eclipse.osgi_3.1.0.jar).  You can do
        java -jar org.eclipse.osgi_3.1.0.jar
and you get an OSGi console.

Finally, check out http://eclipse.org/osgi.  The info there is sparse (slightly incorrect but will be fixed for M6) but growing.  Feel free to contribute thoughts and information for that page.

Jeff

Lin George <george4eclipse@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/24/2005 04:43 AM

Please respond to
eclipse-dev

eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[eclipse-dev] question about OSGi development in Eclipse

Hello everyone,

I have heard that Eclipse had added OSGi support. I am very interested in this point since I have some experience in developing OSGi based solutions. I have searched Eclipse site for OSGi development information, but I fail to find any critical information.

I am wondering where can I find OSGi development information from Eclipse site (development plan, developers and source codes). I want to take a look at OSGi sub-project and find out whether I can provide some free contributions to this project.

Thanks in advance,
George

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Small Business -