Re: [eclipse-dev] Outage Notice - Saturday, March 26th 2005

You must have misread; only incoming mail will be affected. Outgoing notifications will be uninterrupted.

For what it's worth, CVS and e-mail will be migrated over quite fast. The new servers are already configured to accept the data; I just need to shutdown CVS for the time it takes to move 18+ GB of CVS files from one machine to another. It's the weird stuff, like ViewCVS, the mailing lists and the mailing list archives that prompted me to advertise an outage window of 24 hrs.

The IBM server that dev.eclipse.org is running on must be returned to IBM by April 1st, so it's either I move this Saturday or during the week next week.

Denis

Jeff McAffer wrote:

I second this concern. As I read this, CVS and mail (e.g., bugzilla notifications) will be down. Basically all work will stop since the final days of M6 is all about bugs and committing that last bit of code. Defering for one week would certainly be prudent.

Jeff

*Douglas Pollock <douglas.pollock@xxxxxxxx>*
Sent by: eclipse-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/21/2005 05:58 PM
Please respond to
eclipse-dev

	eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
	webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject

On Monday March 21 2005 03:56 pm, Eclipse WebMaster (Denis Roy) wrote:
 > I will be migration the dev.eclipse.org server this Saturday, March 26th
 > to our new hardware infrastructure. During this time, the CVS
 > repositories as well as any mail-related resources will be unavailable.

I have some concerns about the selected date. Would it be possible to delay
the migration until after 3.1 M6 ships?

3.1 M6 is imminent, and represents an API freeze. Removing access to the CVS
servers for 24 hours could hinder people who are trying to complete changes
in time for the API freeze.

Also, there were some unexpected difficulties when trying to complete the
phase one migration.  If similar difficulties were to occur during the
milestone week, this could causes delays or frustrations in trying to
complete 3.1 M6 on time.

cheers,
d.