RE: [eclipse-dev] Fragments and extensions

Dorian Birsan wrote:
> This may require eclipse to support another environment attribute,
"vm",
> in addition to the existing "os", "nl", "arch" and "ws".

That is an interesting observation, and probably something that should
be considered.  At the least, it would be nice to fail gracefully when a
plugin requires a newer VM than is available.  (Perhaps this already
happens; please pardon my ignorance.)

I think in my particular case, however, it is possible to handle the
problem programmatically: that is, code in o.e.jdt.core can determine
what the VM level is and on that basis decide whether to load and call
the classes in the fragment.  The entry points in this case are few,
well-defined, and called only in a few specific locations.

  -Walter Harley
   BEA Systems Inc.

Back to the top