Re: [ecf-dev] Commit notification to mailinglist (was Re: Git commit messages)

On 22 Jun 2011, at 13:00, Markus Alexander Kuppe <ecf-dev_eclipse.org@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 06/22/2011 01:52 PM, Alex Blewitt wrote:
>
>> I'd vote -1 for commits going to ecf-dev and +0 for commits going to
>> ecf-commits (or whatever). I'm likely to unsubscribe from ecf-dev if it
>> gets regularly spammed with commits,
>
> Personally I prefer to set up an email filter locally than to subscribe
> to yet another mailing list.

Personally I prefer to unsubscribe from mailing lists that get used for different purposes.

>> especially since all this
>> information can be acquired via git log origin/master.
>
> I'd assume that most consumers don't maintain a repo clone they keep in
> sync.

If they don't keep a repo in sync, then they probably aren't interested in receiving mails either. I'm pretty sure committers will be fetching from master on a regular basis.

The point is sending commit messages to those that don't want it is going to cause people to not want to subscribe or discuss ECF. That is a bigger negative than asking those that want to opt in to receiving commit messages to sign up to a list if they want. And if those consumers set up filters locally anyway then it shouldn't make any difference whether it goes to ecf-dev or ecf-commits.

Alex

Back to the top