Re: [ecf-dev] HEAD open for 4.0 development?

I think there are two questions here:

1) What is going to be our version number change for next release cycle...i.e. for next year's simultaneous release is it going to be ECF 3.1 or ECF 4.0
?
2) Dependent upon the answer to '1' is the question of opening up some stream for ECF 4.0 development.

That is, if the answer to '1' is 3.1, then it would probably make sense to have HEAD be for 3.1 development, and possibly create a 4.0 development stream alongside HEAD as well...if the answer to '1' is 4.0, then HEAD would be open for 4.0 development.

I think we have to jointly decide '1' before we can do the appropriate technical solution to '2' (whatever that might be...I'm not particularly invested in any particular strategy, but I don't want to maintain a number of parallel development streams as that can/will be very cumbersome).

So I would like to hear from as many people as are interested: would people like another major release next year (i.e. 4.0), or do they feel that a minor release is more appropriate (i.e. 3.1)? The implications of a major release are that breaking API changes can be introduced, meaning that when 4.0 comes out that consumers of 3.0 would have to change their usage of the API.
Scott