Re: [ecf-dev] HEAD open for 4.0 development?

Scott Lewis wrote:

> So I would like to hear from as many people as are interested:  would
> people like another major release next year (i.e. 4.0), or do they feel
> that a minor release is more appropriate (i.e. 3.1)?  The implications
> of a major release are that breaking API changes can be introduced,
> meaning that when 4.0 comes out that consumers of 3.0 would have to
> change their usage of the API.
> Scott

So far I haven't seen comments from our consumer base asking us to slow
down with our release schedule. Thus as long as the majority is fine
with annual major release, I'm +1 for ECF 4.0 in 2010.

We have been doing annual release for a while now and our consumers
probably expect 4.0 in 2010. Keep in mind that we can always release
3.2, 3.3, 3.x if somebody really needs it (granted with CVS this will be
cumbersome, but we might see a better VCS soon).

ECF provider architecture makes it different to Platform and other
projects with a more conservative release schedule. It requires us to
innovate more regularly to support new providers.

Markus

Back to the top