Re: [ecf-dev] ECF 3.0 project plan (in EF approved format)

Hi Erkki,

Erkki Lindpere wrote:
Hi,

I have a question regarding the status of bulletin board API. I know it's been quite a while since that hasn't seen any development (sorry), but I just resurrected one of my projects that makes use of it and I will be working on it *a little* anyway. Unfortunately, I can't give you any specific estimate about when the code will be "done" (so I'm not suggesting adding it to the plan). Could it still be included in ECF 3.0 in case I get it done early enough even if it's not in the plan? Or are you still interested in the bulletin board API as part of ECF at all?

Speaking for myself, I'm very interested in including the bulletin board API in ECF 3.0. I suspect that others might be interested also.

FYI, in the ECF move to runtime we've moved the bb api and impls into the /cvsroot/rt/org.eclipse.ecf/incubator/<bb projects> area. Erkki are you a committer on some other EF project? Because it would be much easier if you had rw access to the BB API code...and if you are a committer on another project perhaps we could get you 'guest' committer access or something.

There is also a problem that may cause the bulletin board API providers to require constant maintenance: as the forum software packages (phpbb, vbulletin) are developed, they may easily break BB providers, as those rely on screen scraping. So far, the actual changes needed due to this have been quite small, but they happen at unpredictable times. Also, a major new version of phpBB is out already and I haven't even looked at how different it is.

Hmm.  This is a problem, but I suppose all we can do about it is:

1) be very clear about the version being used in the providers
2) encourage the bb's to maintain some consistency in their own APIs (I know we can only do some much about this)

Any other ideas?

So Erkki if you are able to work on things I will add a 'proposed' plan item for including the BB API item in ECF 3.0 plan.
Thanks,

Scott

Back to the top