[ecf-dev] Reminder and Agenda: ECF conference call 9.18.2006 1900 UTC/1200 pacifc

Hi Folks,

We are going to have a necessarily short (1/2 hour) conference call tomorrow (Mon 9/18) at 1900 UTC/1200 pacific.

Here's info for call: http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Eclipse_Communication_Framework_Project#ECF_Team_Meetings

Proposed Agenda

1) Getting the core ECF APIs to 1.0. I propose that the following APIs be reviewed/modified/prepared for 1.0: a) core/org.eclipse.ecf
   b) presence/org.eclipse.ecf.presence
   c) datashare/org.eclipse.ecf.datashare
   d) fileshare/org.eclipse.ecf.fileshare
   e) discovery/org.eclipse.ecf.discovery

It is possible, I think, that we could add a f) pubsub/remoteservice API to this list as well. We should discuss whether things are close to ready for that and Peter N and I (at least) should discuss consolidation between the remoteservice API and the pubsub service API. Please see http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Remote_OSGI_Services and http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Enhanced_Publish_and_Subscribe_Support to get a feel for these efforts.

ISSUES: 1) Which APIs should be targeted for inclusion in 1.0? 1a) include pubsub/remoteservices? 2) When/How to get to 1.0?; 3) How to get docs and additional example/test apps in place for all these APIs?

2) Getting recent contributions into ECF APIs/codebase/examples/tests
a) Bulletin Board Provider (http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/BB_Provider%28s%29) b) Shared Code Plugin (http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Shared_Code_Plugin) c) ECF Bitorrent Provider (http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/ECF_BitTorrent_Provider) d) JXTA provider for ECF (http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/JXTA_provider_for_ECF)

ISSUE: We need to identify a path/plan for getting all these excellent contributions into ECF proper

3) VOIP/Call API. Roland is working on this with the author of the Java Jingle library. We should put together a plan for 1) Extending Call API to support entire call setup and call execution (e.g. streaming, etc); 2) Getting a provider (jingle probably) implemented for #1; 3) Getting a simple example application that uses provider from #2. ISSUE: We need to find a way to support Roland/get more resources on this and move it forward.

4) Shared Editing. There has been some terrific work on conflict resolution strategies for real-time shared text editors by Mustafa http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/RT_Shared_Editing. ISSUE: We should put together a plan for getting this work into ECF's example collab editor, and expect to generalize the API over time (e.g. make extension points to allow for other operational transform strategies/supporting other types of editors...e.g. xml editors/java editors/graphical editors).

Obviously there are lots of other things we need to do, but we'll have to spread agenda items over multiple weeks. I (Scott) am also going to plan to send out planning missives to ecf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx and ECF newsgroup in order to do planning asynchronously among multiple people via the wiki. Please feel free to discuss these, make notes, add things, remove things, discuss prioritization, comment, etc at the following wiki entry:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Proposed_Agenda_for_9.18.2006

Thanks.
Scott

Back to the top