[ecf-dev] No Mon 25th conference call, and ECF API work focus proposal

Hi Folks,

No conference call Mon Sept 25:

I'm going to be unable to have a conference call on Monday, Sept 25th, so I've rescheduled the next conference call for Monday, Oct 2. See here for info:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Eclipse_Communication_Framework_Project

Proposal for ECF API Focus

I would like to begin/continue a technical dialog (on this mailing list) about the following APIs in order to get them refined/implemented/documented sufficiently to include in ECF 1.0 as soon as possible:

1) Fileshare API (org.eclipse.ecf.fileshare plugin). I've been thinking that this API should be simplified, and have started that effort with some new interfaces in org.eclipse.ecf.filetransfer package (new package in fileshare API plugin). I would like to get others taking a look at these directions and commenting on them (via this list) so that they can be refined and completed quickly.

2) New remoteservice API (org.eclipse.ecf.remoteservice plugin). I would like to get this API established and in place with test and example/other code as soon as possible, so that it could serve as input to idea for OSGi standardization work in the area of distributed OSGi services. Currently, the API is in place and documented, I've introduced a feature that will include it (and a provider for it) in the next ECF build/release (0.9.2, which I think can probably be done Wed (27th) of next week. There is also a junit plugin test (in org.eclipse.ecf.test.remoteservice plugin). Please if you have any thoughts and/or comments lets get them on the mailing list and newsgroup (please post to both).

3) New bulletin board API (Erkki's recent work). I will do my best to get the pending dialog about designs and such going again via this mailing list so that the design issues Erkki has identified can be addressed and the API can be moved into ECF itself as soon as possible.

4) Pubsub api (org.eclipse.ecf.example.pubsub). I would like to explore how/whether the pubsub API could be integrated with the remoteservice API to provide a pubsub remoteservice.

Please if you have a chance take a look at these APIs, and comment/critique them via newsgroup and mailing list. I would like to try to get all four of them (plus some implementation, and more example code) into ECF 1.0 in late October/early November timeframe.

Thanks,

Scott

Back to the top