Re: [e4-dev] [Proposal] Locale switching

On 03.12.13 21:41, Dirk Fauth wrote:
> While implementing stuff as suggested some questions came to my mind.
>
> Most of them are already answered by Tom. Many thanks for being so
> patient and helpful!!!
>
> But why should we change the localize methods to features and extend the
> renderers to listen to those features? Technically a localized label is
> just a specialization of the label. And requesting the label is usually
> redirecting to request the localized label.

It's not a specialized the getLabel() method IS NOT delegating to the
localized one, how we one get the real value key e.g. in the tooling,
not to mention that XMI-Serialization would persit the real value on
shutdown instead of the key, ... .

> Wouldn't it be enough to implement the mixin interface and on locale
> changes the already bound features are updated? For example, if the
> locale is changed, notify the label of a part to be updated. As on
> notifying the label feature is asked for its value, which uses the
> localized label method.

See above you can not delegate from getLabel() to the localized one!

> For me it makes more sense to have a one to one connection between
> control and model attribute, while introducing the localizedLabel
> feature would mean to introduce a one to many relation as the label
> property of the composite would get notified on several feature changes.
> Also notifying the already existing features would reduce the amount of
> work for existing renderers.
>
> Just some questions to get a better understanding of the e4 application
> model.
>
> Another question is, should MUILabel extend the new mixin interface, so
> every MUILabel is automatically MLocalizable for example, or should they
> be separated?

Yes the whole point about this is that not only stuff on MUILabled needs
to allow localization!

Tom

Back to the top