Re: [e4-dev] Model changes for 4.4 M4

I realize these changes are already in master, but I think we are getting too specific with our model.  Having an MWizardDialog only opens the door to having an MWizardPart and IMHO that defeats the entire purpose of having a generic model in the first place.

If we are going to model the Wizard (which I can make arguments either way) it should inherit from MPart if anything.  I guess I am more for modeling Wizards AND WizardPages because I feel that makes a better argument for reuse.  But all of this is for naught if we are going to delineate our model so rigidly.

I would even be for creating a model element that blurs the line between WizardPage and PreferencePage (call it an MInteractionPage).  Because, from an abstract sense, WizardPage and PreferencePage accomplish the same thing; taking some form of user interaction.  Combine that with the existing DI framework and there is no need to have separate entities.

So I would vote:
 -1 on MWizardDialog
   0 on MDialog
   I think we can enhance our existing tags on MWindow to accomplish everything the Dialog does (like even having a "dialog" tag).

JD

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Paul Elder <pelder@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Brian de Alwis <briandealwis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote on 11/11/2013 12:17:29 PM:

> I’d have thought we wanted MDialog to be distinct from MWindow?  And
> aren’t wizards really a form of dialog?

> The Workbench code (currently) assumes that it can take over and
> manage any MWindow.  I don’t think we want the workbench to manage dialogs :-)

For the first cut, I'm going to create MDialog (subclassing MWindow), and MWizardDialog subclassing MDialog. If subclassing MWindow proves to be a problem, we can change it, but logically (at least on the windowing systems I know of), a dialog is a window.

Paul