Re: [e4-dev] Now's the time to figure out what we need in e4

> Are you sure that this is really more consistent ? Dont forget: Wizards for
> instance are a JFace-specific kind of thing and i always thought the
> application model itself should be independent of SWT, JFace. Or do you
> think of a more abstract way of integration and if yes how this could look
> like?

If the model had extended to Wizards in e4, that would have saved another headache in the product we are just releasing. (I still vote for help as #1!)
The product is the deployment tool for our J2EE application. I wanted a wizard where the first page asked how many database servers, reporting servers, and application servers are in the deployment. And then I wanted one page for each server requested. I could find no way of doing this with the JFace provided Wizard and ended up having to do my own one.
I think that if we had a model based wizard, then I probably could have altered the model in mid-course, and have the UI adapt to that. I could have rendered the UI I wished without having to develop it all myself.

I'm not going to speak to consistency, or abstract appropriateness. But I just wanted to chime in with a good practical example of how having this would have made it easier to use e4 in production.

Cheers,

Jo

Jo Grant  550 King Street
Senior Software Engineer  Littleton, MA 01460
OpenPages install and config  USA
Cell: 617-648-6543
Office: 978-899-4836
e-mail: jo_grant@xxxxxxxxxx