Re: [e4-dev] Move wrapper classes to platform?

If I remember correctly, the original intent of these wrappers was to provide forwards-compatibility, that is allow you to write your views/editors so they can run in both 3.x and 4.x while being able to make use of injection. Why would someone want to use such a layer in 4.3 and beyond? At this point I thought the path we want to encourage is to drop the ability to run in 3.x and move parts directly to the Eclipse 4 API. I'd hate to see people move to these parts and now have *two* layers of cruft between their parts and the Eclipse 4 framework (a forwards compatibility layer talking to a backwards compatibility layer talking to the framework). I see no problem that this stuff continues to exist for people who need to run on both 3.x and 4.x, but moving it into the platform somehow sanctions it as a good approach going forward. Is it?

John

From:        Tom Schindl <tom.schindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        04/18/2013 04:11 PM
Subject:        Re: [e4-dev] Move wrapper classes to platform?
Sent by:        e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

Lars is right I wrote them ;-) and they are used without problems by the
model editor since their inception.

I think they are fairly done. There was a bug report from Jonas on some
disposing or selection stuff which is not 100% ok. He had a patch i
revoked because it would have destoryed the active context.

Like other things in e4.tools I'm not actively maintaining them anymore
because my focus has shifted away a bit but I'm always available to
answer questions and take a glance at patches (like I just did with Dirk
and broke the build the today/yesterday :-)

Their original ident was to make the model editor run in *3.x* (which it
still does?) maybe this support should be removed when moved to eclipse
4 proper?

I'm with Lars, don't make them API but give them more visibility!

BTW: There are many hidden secrets - I came up while doing the tooling
dev - in the e4.tools repo like this (refcount resource management, cool
new i18n support). Unless those get part of Eclipse Platform I plan to
move them to e(fx)clipse and move on there (not everything there is tied
to JavaFX)

Tom

http://git.eclipse.org/c/e4/org.eclipse.e4.tools.git/tree/bundles/org.eclipse.e4.tools.compat/src/org/eclipse/e4/tools/compat/parts They

mailto:emoffatt@xxxxxxxxxx>>