Re: [e4-dev] Proposed policy change for bug closing

+1 I currently just use the commit hash but I also do what John does by checking on the web. Also I find that if the link is there I'm far more likely to take a look.

Eric

From: John Arthorne/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Date: 09/25/2012 09:09 AM
Subject: Re: [e4-dev] Proposed policy change for bug closing
Sent by: e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

+1. Another benefit is that it helps you verify that the fix actually went into the branch you expected. I always go to git.eclipse.org after I push changes to verify that I committed to the right branch, remembered to push to the right remote, etc. If you include the link instead of just the commit hash it makes it easier for others to review your changes (or yourself, when you forget 6 months later what you did ;).

John

Lars Vogel <lars.vogel@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/25/2012 07:11 AM

Please respond to
E4 Project developer mailing list <e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc
Subject
[e4-dev] Proposed policy change for bug closing

Hello,

There is some discussion how to lower the entry barrier for new people.

I would like to suggest that we add to our policy that we add the URL
to the Git commit if we fix a bug. I personally find it really
interesting to see how a fix was done. And I think others can learn
from these references too.

Example:

Pushed to master with commit

http://git.eclipse.org/c/e4/org.eclipse.e4.tools.git/commit/?id=23bd251e062fed2af211a66ad478df2c4ed6c1db