Re: [e4-dev] Set up of my translation scene

Am 17.12.10 09:13, schrieb Tom Schindl:
> Am 16.12.10 20:59, schrieb Oleg Besedin:
>>
>> Hi Tom,
>> Nice write-up. It might make sense to create a set of Wiki pages based
>> on your post  so that design can be updated as it evolves.
>>
>> The most important part is the design goal. The 3.x approach is highly
>> optimized for the "simple" case, but does not support more complicated
>> scenarios. To me, it feels like the proposed new design would support
>> well the advanced use cases, but at the expense of
>> performance/scalability/usability of the simple case. (Simple case
>> being: having one language that does not change).
>>

> Scalability/Performance only depends on the translation provider.

On a second thought you are right memory usage will suffer a bit because
with the dynamic stuff we keep 2 strings in memory:
a) the translation key in the model
b) the translation

I think we could add a switch to the Application-Extension-Point which
allows the user to control when the translations should be applied:

a) On model element load => After we have constructed the model we
   replace all %... values in the model through their translations,
   we'll do this at the same time we are associating the model with
   their contributor so we are traverseing the whole model anyways
   => No dynamic language switches are possible but this is as memory
      effecient as 3.x

b) When the element is rendered
   => Dynamic language switches using ITranslationService is possible

But this has no impact on the design of the generic core translation
service.

Tom

tom schindl                                        geschaeftsfuehrer/CEO
eduard-bodem-gasse 5/1    A-6020 innsbruck      phone    ++43 512 935834

Back to the top