Re: [e4-dev] Set up of my translation scene

Am 16.12.10 20:59, schrieb Oleg Besedin:

> Hi Tom,
> Nice write-up. It might make sense to create a set of Wiki pages based
> on your post  so that design can be updated as it evolves.
>
> The most important part is the design goal. The 3.x approach is highly
> optimized for the "simple" case, but does not support more complicated
> scenarios. To me, it feels like the proposed new design would support
> well the advanced use cases, but at the expense of
> performance/scalability/usability of the simple case. (Simple case
> being: having one language that does not change).

Scalability/Performance only depends on the translation provider.

From a usability point of view I don't see any difference for the simple
use case: The developer stores translations in the very same
.properties-File like he does in plugin.xml and references them
identical in the e4xmi-File.

Translation usage in business code is IMHO the same than it was with NLS:

3.x:
----
String myMessage = MyMessage.myMessage

4.x:
----
MyMessage messages = ... // DI or through a factory
String myMessage = messages.myMessage

> So, I'd add the following two goals:
> - it should be possible to describe the basic part of "the new NLS" to a
> plug-in developer in under two paragraphs;

Ok.

> - it should scale well enough to not to be a memory or CPU hog for large
> size applications

This only depends on the available ITranslationProvider. We could write
a translation provider which works identical to cached translation stuff
in extension registry. So it has no influence to the design of the API
but is a pure implementation detail.

Tom
tom schindl                                        geschaeftsfuehrer/CEO
eduard-bodem-gasse 5/1    A-6020 innsbruck      phone    ++43 512 935834

Back to the top