Re: [e4-dev] Working with modeled UI and HEAD

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 5:05 AM, Tom Schindl <tom.schindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The Addon-Element is generally a problem in this sense. What about the
following.

a) The addons are contributed through a ModelProcessor
b) The model processor checks if there is a tag for the addon in the
  MApplication-Element e.g.:
  addon:org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.addons.swt:DnDAddon
  addon:org.eclipse.e4.core.commands:CommandServiceAddon
  and only then contributes this addon.

This way the one defines the Addon-Handler-Class is also the one who
contributes the addon-element.

The problem with extension points is they are read in an arbitrary order.  Control of the ordering of this kind of thing has been a complaint on the RCP and/or Product side for a long time.  If they go in the model, then document order controls them.

But you're right, I traded "e4.core.commands defined them and added them" for "you have to add these to your model, in the correct order".  I'm open to suggestions or discussion on this.

As an aside, this is part of the work that will get rid of the E4CommandProcessor.

--
Paul Webster
Hi floor.  Make me a sammich! - GIR

Back to the top