Re: [e4-dev] More info about the project

We also have a fairly current FAQ document that answers some of your questions. It is linked off of the Eclipse 4.0 landing page at http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse4/ .

Boris

Inactive hide details for Remy Chi Jian Suen ---2010/08/02 16:19:26---Hi Marcel, On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Marcel Gorri <Remy Chi Jian Suen ---2010/08/02 16:19:26---Hi Marcel, On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Marcel Gorri <wmg040@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Remy Chi Jian Suen <remy.suen@xxxxxxxxx>

2010/08/02 16:19

Re: [e4-dev] More info about the project

Sent by:

e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Marcel,

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Marcel Gorri <wmg040@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> - When e4 is going to be released?

e4 is an incubator. We cannot "release" anything as 1.0. As incubating
components mature, they will graduate and become a part of whatever
Eclipse project is appropriate. Or it may even end up spawning a
completely new Eclipse project.

> Will it be released in Indigo?

We do intend to align a release with Indigo next year unlike this year
where there was a one month gap. Please keep in mind that there _will_
be a 3.7 release.

> - When are other projects expected to migrate and use new features from e4?

The answer really is "when you feel like it". If you want to continue
using 3.x APIs, that is perfectly fine, I imagine many companies will
continue to do so for many years to come.

We have a 4.0 implementation of the org.eclipse.ui.workbench bundle
that is intended to _ensure_ that clients of the public 3.x APIs will
continue to function in a 4.x installation just as they do now in a
3.x installation. I don't know how many more _major_ 3.x releases will
follow but as long as you play by the rules of the API, we will do our
best to make sure your 3.x stuff runs on 4.x.

On the other hand, if you want to leverage some of the new features,
please feel free to go and try it out and let us know what you think!
Of course, you have to be aware that your code now has a 4.x
dependency and won't work for users that are running a 3.x Eclipse
installation.

> - Is there a roadmap of features vs dates, where I can check the features
> that will be implemented?

We haven't started the planning process of 4.1 yet as far as I know so
we don't really have a concrete answer for this.

I hope this helps clear things up a bit. Please do not hesitate to ask
other questions or request additional details if you need further
clarifications.

Regards,
Remy