From: Susan Franklin McCourt <susan_franklin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07/20/2010 01:08 AM
Subject: Re: [e4-dev] RC3 rules of engagement.
Sent by: e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

We can discuss at the meeting, but since east coasters have a 3 hour head start...
Just wanted to say that at this point, I think we should err on the side of restraint.

I saw bugs today where a lot of stack manipulation (max/min/perspective switch) scenarios can get you in trouble.
I don't think we have the time to sort these out...I feel that we are just as likely to introduce regressions by being too aggressive in fixing things. For example, generic model issues like part activation, etc. etc...we have to decide soon that the devil we know is better than the devil we don't.

We need to have a good story on what the user should do when things seem "shaky."
For example, I saw problems with "reset perspective" and this bothers me because I would be inclined to reset a perspective if funny things happen wrt view/editor mixing, perspective switching, etc. If "reset perspective" is really implemented underneath as "reset, kill the deltas.xml, etc. etc...."...we need a good path for cleaning up a broken model instance.

So I think we need to focus on:
- having a safe, reliable "clean things up" action the user can take (or do it for them if we can detect when we've hosed the model)
- fix problems that persist after an exit/restart
- first impression/broken workflows where we can prove the fix is pretty localized/specialized

The temptation is to keep on fixing, fixing, fixing....because compared to 3.6 stability we don't look good.
But we are better off shipping with problems we can explain than keep tweaking and not really know what we have when we ship.

susan