From: e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Eric Moffatt
Sent: Freitag, 23. Oktober 2009 20:24
To: E4 Project developer mailing list
Subject: Re: [e4-dev] Main ToolBar in Workbench Model

Kai, just an update that this request has pushed the answer to the 'trim' issue. Since 50% of our 'simple' RCP apps (i.e. Contacts & e4Photo) need trim I'll be upgrading the model to have a basic Window element that allows trim. Nothing else should change except that MWindow should now also have four new MUIElement collections; top, bottom, left & right to service the trim.

Once done you would model this by adding the 'topTrim' collection (same as we currently do to define the 'mainMenu'), then just add your MToolbar to it.

Programmatically it'd look like this:

window.getTopTrim().getChildren.add(myToolbar);

Unfortunately I don't think it'll be available for ESE (I have to implement the SWT layout to manage the layouts....) but this is just a heads up that at least we have a definite plan on how to expose this now.

Onwards,
Eric

Eric Moffatt/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA

10/23/2009 11:34 AM

Re: [e4-dev] Main ToolBar in Workbench Model

Sent by:

e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Kai, at this point I'm sorry to say that there isn't a real solution. Part of the problem is an ongoing discussion about whether or not MWindow in its basic form should provide 'trim' services, providing for a defined place in which to host the Toolbars (as well as a status line, minimized stacks...). What can I say except that 'it's coming'; Paul is in the process of getting the E4 commands story in place and as part of the integration of that into the E4 UI will require that we provide a place for Toolbars (and I guarantee that you'll be able to add your own TB's in the XMI).

I wish I had better news or a suggestion on how to do this except to place the TB directly into one of your views during creation (i.e. make a Composite containing your current part with a TB above it).

Eric

"Toedter, Kai" <kai.toedter@xxxxxxxxxxx>

10/23/2009 09:56 AM

[e4-dev] Main ToolBar in Workbench Model

Sent by:

e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi All,

I am working on some enhancements of the e4 contacts demo for the upcoming ESE. I did not find a solution for creating the main toolbar using the current workbench model yet.

Any hints?

Thanks

Kai
---

Kai Tödter

Siemens AG
Corporate Technology
Architecture
CT SE 2
Otto-Hahn-Ring 6
81739 Munich, Germany
Phone: +49 89 636-41064
Fax: +49 89 636-45450
mailto: kai.toedter@xxxxxxxxxxx
Internet:
www.siemens.com/corporate-technology

Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Gerhard Cromme; Managing Board: Peter Loescher, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer; Heinrich Hiesinger, Joe Kaeser, Rudi Lamprecht, Eduardo Montes, Juergen Radomski, Erich R. Reinhardt, Hermann Requardt, Uriel J. Sharef, Peter Y. Solmssen, Klaus Wucherer; Registered offices: Berlin and Munich; Commercial registries: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, Munich, HRB 6684; WEEE-Reg.-No. DE 23691322