Re: [e4-dev] Why XML UI is important for us

Hi Kaiping,

I am fully agree with Eike and Sabri, let me present you a simple
example : the creation and addition of a button in a programer's point
of view (I mean extracted from 2 source codes)

In EMF :
		// create a pushButton
		PushButton pushButton = WidgetsFactory.eINSTANCE.createPushButton();
		pushButton.setText("Hello World"); //$NON-NLS-1$

		// append the button to composite's children list.
		composite.getChildren().add(pushButton);

in XML
		// create a pushButton
		Element child = doc.createElement("button");
		child.setAttribute("text", "Hello World");

		// append the button to composite's children list.
		composite.appendChild(child);

please note that there is 2 differences,
 * the first one is related to the creation itself
doc.createElement("button") vs
WidgetsFactory.eINSTANCE.createPushButton();.
 * the second, more important, I think, is related to the type of the
created Element. In XML, the object is a DOM Element, in EMF, the
object's class is PushButton which allows the use of code completion,
strong type use, etc....

Regarding the use of serialized form of EMF, as Eike wrote, XML is
only a way of serialization, which demonstrates that EMF (from this
point of view) could be seen as a superset of XML.

Cheers,

Olivier