Re: [e4-dev] e4, conventions, OSGi, ... - We need to set up rules

Tom Schindl schrieb:
5. Compiler Settings, Formatting + JavaDoc
* I think we should provide prefernces people can import into their
  workspace to setup the formats, ...

Even better is to check the project-level settings into CVS. It's a bit
more work to keep them updated, but the most reliable way to ensure they
are followed consistently. People may have a variety of different
projects in their workspace that want to use different conventions so
workspace-level settings don't always help.

But if I create a new bundle I need to know those convention and so we
should document them somewhere or do you suggest we copy them over from
one of the exisiting bundles

I'm not sure if this is the right time/place to start a general discussion about preferences for projects, but it has been done for the package versioning thing, so:

I always felt that between the global workspace preferences and the per-project settings there's missing something that makes it easier for teams to have consistent settings in their (possibly vast numbers of) IProjects without affecting other teams or being affected by other teams. My first thought was a new preference scope, but the storage and management should be *inside* one IProject so that it is controlled by CVS (or whatever). My second (and current) thought is a third radio button in the project settings like "use settings from other project". This way a team could set up one IProject (or severals) with the settings for all (or some)of the other IProjects and maintenance of these settings would be way easier. What do you think?

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://thegordian.blogspot.com