[e4-dev] e4, conventions, OSGi, ... - We need to set up rules

Hi,

I'll start my redesign for the Workbench-Renderers and I think to stay
consisten we need to define some rules:

1. Interfaces start with an I
-----------------------------
It looks like we are inconsitent in this sense. E.g. CSS stuff is not
using it (e.g. CSSElementContext) whereas e.g. core.services does. The
model doesn't use the 'I' either (see below on a discussion about
model). I have no strong feelings but we need to be consitent.

2. Model starts with an M
-------------------------
IMHO this makes sense but I'm not sure that we should name the elements
with M in our .ecore but rather use the GenFeature (Class Name Pattern
and Interface Name Pattern)

3. Declarative Services vs Extension Points
I think we should use DS instead of extension points because using
extension points forces our bundles to be a singleton - which is not
needed OSGi experts please correct me - with Declarative Services

4. Import Package vs Require Bundle
-----------------------------------
We already discussed this and IRC there've been 2 points against
Import-Package:
* Split Bundles
* Versioning

My take on this:
* We don't have split bundles
* We should simple increment the package version with bundle version

=> I think we should bring this over to the Architectual Council
=> Talk to PDE what help they could give us at a tooling level

5. Compiler Settings, Formatting + JavaDoc
* I think we should provide prefernces people can import into their
  workspace to setup the formats, ...
* JavaDoc:
  * Class Documentation (even internal class)
  * plublic/protected method documentation (even internal classes)

With having drawn a conclusion I think me miss the unique chance to
start with a clean code base.

Additional points are welcome naturally.

Tom

tom schindl                                        geschaeftsfuehrer/CEO
eduard-bodem-gasse 5/1    A-6020 innsbruck      phone    ++43 512 935834

Back to the top