Re: [e4-dev] e4 0.9 readme

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the feedback. I am working through the examples, making sure the steps are still accurate and adding them to the readme:

http://eclipse.org/e4/development/readme/readme_e4_0.9.html#R-Demos

Some answers to a couple of your questions:

> SWT/BE: I'd like to run the Dojo demo

I don't think the Dojo port has made much progress. The Flex port is the only one included in the 0.9 release.

> The download pages lists a lot of dependencies. Can't p2 figure out for me where to get those from?

Yes, p2 will compute and install the dependencies automatically if you install with p2. I think the dependency information is on the download page mainly for information purposes (this is what it was built against). Note it even says on the download page, "If you install e4 from the update site, the pre-requisites will be installed automatically"

John

Sent by: e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/23/2009 12:03 PM

Please respond to
E4 Project developer mailing list <e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc
Subject
Re: [e4-dev] e4 0.9 readme

John Arthorne schrieb:
> so including information about running the demos is a good idea.

Ok, I give it a try. Here are my experiences. With answers that would be
close to a readme.

* XWT: I found the XWT perspective that is shown in the screencast at
http://wiki.eclipse.org/E4/XWT/Running_the_demos And I also found the
New UI element wizard shown in the video. It took me half an hour to
reproduce the sample project from the video but in the end it I could
get it to work by using a snippet from
http://wiki.eclipse.org/E4/DeclarativeUI/XWT for gettting a shell and
running the event loop. Then the window shows up. That's the only thing
I got to work. I had a hard time setting up the transitive dependencies
for XWT.

* How can I run the _javascript_ example?
http://wiki.eclipse.org/E4/_javascript_ I guess the code is included in
the SDK and I would not have to check it out from CVS? Yes, found it.
How can I create a JS bundle? Seems there is no wizard for it. Then I
create a regular bundle and drop in the JSON manifest. Replace the
MANIFEST.MF, uh, better not. Use the _javascript_-Bundle:
scripts/bundle.json header? But then I'd have two manifests!? I'm not
even getting to the extension registry and servlet examples. Help!

* SWT/BE: I'd like to run the Dojo demo but don't know even where to
start. I also noticed that the Dojo version is 1.1.0 from March 2008.
Pretty dated. Is there still work going on?

* How can I run the Bespin server? Help!

* The download pages lists a lot of dependencies.
http://download.eclipse.org/e4/downloads/drops/S-0.9M5-200907101930/index.html
Can't p2 figure out for me where to get those from?

Frank.